Applying a grant
There is few state institutes and foundations which grant financial support for individual artist or a working groups to their projects. There is variation in rules and instructions between different institutes so read them trough carefully before applying.
- Take enough time to fill up the application
- Please note that online application systems usually get crowded and loaded just before the deadline and they might crash.
- Do a clear and executable work plan.
- Explain your idea understandably – don’t hide behind fancy words
- Make a distinct timetable
- Application handlers read hundreds of applications – think how you can stand out and keep the application short enough
- Make a realistic budget to your project
- Working grant is usually meant for applicant’s normal living costs during the working period
- Usually there is a separate object grant available which is meant to exact costs of the projects (e.g. material cost, rent of the working space, hiring separate work force etc)
- If you applying grants from many different institutes for the same projects, think carfully to which part or cost of the project you allocate them.
- Remember to add all necessary documents – having few too many is better than not having them at all
- There is usually possibility attach a link to your online portfolio or to your web page
- Visual artist should have artwork or sketches from the project attached
- Remember to update your curriculum vitae.
- In you CV, list only those works which are relevant or significant to the project in question
- Ask references – reference from your fellow artist or professor are significant especially for those artist who are in the beginning of their career.
- Ask someone, maybe a person who has had a grant
- Don’t let the negative decision to let you down – there is thousands of applicants and negative ruling don’t mean that your project is be bad.
- Keep developing your idea and apply again next time.
The Finnish Cultural Foundation
- The central fund call in October
- Regional found call in February
Arts Promotion Centre Finland -TAIKE
- Project grants in October – for individual artist or working groups for their projects
- Regional grants in March – for working for individual artists and working groups
Finnish Film Foundation
- Partly ongoing call for grants, in some of the support format call 4 times a year
- Separately supports for short films (fiction, documentary, animation), feature films and tv-series
- Scriptwriting grant for individual applicants, development and production grants for production companies
- International promotion/travel support for directors or other members of the film group for participating film festivals when own film is the the program
- For media arts and movies
- Scriptwriting grant for individual applicants, development and production grants for production companies.
- Scholarships for courses and training, international travel support for projects which takes place abroad
- CreaDemo, CreaMa, DigiDemo – grants for initiatives which develops media and film industry in general
- Partly ongoing call, in some of the grants specific application times
- To advance bold initiatives in research and the arts
- Boldness, the crossing of boundaries and new initiatives.
- To individual artists and working groups
- Grant call in September